In BusinessCast podcast episode #64 – Blogging For Business, we met intrepid entrepreneurs Paul Hunter and Matthew Vernhout of NextGen Player (www.NextGenPlayer.com). In fact, they were so enthusiastic about blogging that they inspired Robert and me to begin the BusinessCast blog!
Well, I am very excited to report that NextGen Player is now an undisputable and truly exceptional success story. In just over three months, their online business — blogging about the Canadian gaming industry – has skyrocketed beyond all original expectations.
“What kind of success have they achieve in just a few short months?”, you ask. Well, here are just a handful of their accomplishments to-date that prove their efforts to build a strong and loyal following within a very niche market have been a resounding success. Specifically, they have been:
- Referenced and sourced by the World’s most popular gaming sites (www.kotaku.com, www.n4g.com and www.gamegrep.com) and arguably the largest online media blog network (www.gawker.com)
- Invited as an ‘official’ member of the media to product launches (the Amp Your Game Tour)
- Invitated as experts to an exclusive Microsoft pre-launch (X ’08)
- Solicited by PR representatives and sponsors who now want them to promote a Hollywood ‘cult movie’ (Uwe Boll’s ‘Postal the Movie’)
These committed and astute gaming enthusiasts have achieved such unprecedented success for several key reasons. But, as Matthew and Paul see it, the key reasons include:
- Staying focused on one topic only (i.e. the Canadian gaming industry) rather than being lured into biting off more topics (e.g. U.S. gaming industry).
- Leveraging sites that speak to a very specific audience. For most entrepeneurs, the equivalent is networking with those who have established credibility with target audiences.
- Generating “buzz”. Choose a topic that gets people talking – and, remember that it’s okay to be controversial – as long as you do it responsibly (i.e. being as even-handed as possible).
- Bringing a passion for the business - in the case of Matt and Paul, they truly love gaming and are committed to contributing their unique value to the industry!