We wanted to better understand how email can help entrepreneurs establish and build strong business relationships online.
With Matt’s help, we unearthed some of the key issues and misperceptions about email and email marketing. Moreover, we got a handle on just how complex effective email marketing can be along with plenty of practical tips and advice from an email marketing guru.
So, here are a handful of some critical lessons in a Q&A format:
Q: Why should an entrepreneur consider/use email as part of their marketing efforts?
A: Email, when developed and delivered responsibly, is:
- Efficient (i.e. it can deliver marketing results)
- Easy to use
Q: What are some of the critical issues that entrepreneurs should be aware of so that they can hone their email marketing efforts?
A: Entrepreneurs need to address ways of:
- Ensuring email actually lands in the intended email box
- Building and sustaining a database of people who look forward to receiving email
- Setting and maintaining a deployment schedule that provides the best results
- Periodically testing elements of email to achieve the best results
Q: What are some of the greatest misperceptions about email marketing that can potentially damage an entrepreneur’s relationship building efforts?
A: Just because you send out email, you can not assume that your email:
- Always gets delivered to the email boxes you are targeting
- Always arrives when you need it to arrive
- Recipients see the email the way you designed it
- Recipients will always actively engage with your email
Matthew strongly recommends using the services of responsible email marketing services – which allow you to delegate the tasks of developing and delivering email to companies that can do it most cost-effectively. Find a list of email marketing services (organized by county) at a useful resource developed by the email marketer’s club.
In the next few weeks, we’re going to have Matt back in the BusinessCast bagel shop and we’re going to run through a very practical ‘soup to nuts’ scenario – whereby we cover the main points of an effective campaign in case-study format. So, if you’re planning an email marketing campaign, looking to hone your existing campaign or if you’ve been looking for an excuse to launch your first campaign, let us know. We could use your campaign as the focus for our discussion. Make sure you also listen to the show, Email Marketing for Entrepreneurs.